Monday, July 8, 2013

Shades of the Stars Tour Stop


Buy Shades of the Stars
Amazon
It's FREE this week only!
This Legend of the Dreamer anthology features playlists, essays on the magical world of the Order, deleted scenes from Light of the Moon (Book 1), an author interview, and a special look at the sequel, Shadow of the Sun (Book 2). The pulse-pounding short stories The Witch's CurseThe Warrior's Code, and an exclusive story called The Enchanter's Fire are included for the first time in print.

In The Witch's Curse, Magda cannot stop her heart from running rampant with the beating drum of love. Whenever her eyes find Samuel, she can feel the pull of strings so vividly alive against her heart. But for Magda, love goes against fate; her destiny as a witch forbids her to need anything but the dark binds of magic. Soon, the witch's curse begins to call to Magda. To deny her love for Samuel would be unthinkable, but to defy her destiny would be impossible. Before the curse can consume her, Magda must decide between Samuel and destiny, and her heart may beat too savagely for anyone to stop. 
In The Warrior's Code, Warriors fight for justice, freedom, and peace. Becoming a Warrior is an honor given to few, and twelve-year-olds Zackery Solts and Kate Black will do anything to have a place among the elite. Zack and Kate must compete against eighteen others and pass three deadly tests of courage and skill. Above all, they must be strong because while the dangers of the tests are unknown, one thing is clear: not everyone will survive.

In The Enchanter's Fire, Lily Woods is a girl on fire. Literally. Her element burns as fierce as her heart, and very few enchanters want to get close to a girl with such radiant power. None except for Shane Spencer, a boy as calm and cool as his icy element. But fire and ice don't mix, and the element Lily burns inside her is growing stronger. Unstoppable. Soon, Lily's fire may be the end of them all. Taking place during the final, pulse-pounding moments of Light of the MoonThe Enchanter's Fire burns with action and romance.
 This is probably going to be a really long review and I'm not sorry because well, this book is awesome! Shades of the Stars is an anthology, so its a compilation of short stories and some of David James' essays. I'm going to review each short story, because he deserves that.

The Witch’s Curse

"I have to believe in love."-Magda

So here's the thing that I love most about David James... No matter what words he chooses to speak they all make you feel. They all make your heart break a little more when something sad happens, when a choice has to be made. But the most amazing thing is, no matter what the words say there's always and underlying meaning. I wasn't sure I was going to read this book, not because I didn't want to, but because it's a Novella and they usually always leaving me wanting to know more. However I did want to know more about Magda and Samuel, but I was satisfied with what was told. Do I have questions or wonders? Of course but isn't that what makes a good book, good? Not knowing everything leaves something to the imagination, though David's imagination is amazing, I like to leave it up to my own to fill in the day to day's with Magda and Samuel.

"We are the same, Magda. You are my star, and I am yours." -Samuel

I fell in love with Calum in Light of the Moon, even Kate held a place close to my heart.. being honest I didn't care much for Magda. After reading The Witch's Curse made me understand her a whole lot more. Have I mentioned that I cried? Yea well I am a huge sap when it comes to characters in books. I form this bond somehow with all the character's I read about and when something sad happens to them I feel it to my core. That's what makes a great writer though. If they can convey the feelings to you, the reader, than they did their job. 

"Our love is infinite."-Samuel

So David James congratulations on achieving something some people only dream of. You are able to convey to your readers what your characters are feeling and that's what makes you an amazing force in the world of literature. I can't wait to read what you write next. 

I have to admit I highlighted so much in this Novella. lol. So many phrases spoke to me, touched me, but one of the best one's I have to say that hit home to me was this one:

"How can this world be all there is, Samuel? The sky is so vast, so infinite in darkness at night. How can there be nothing beyond what we can see?"-Magda

Sometimes we forget the possibilities of more than us being here. What if David is right? What if the stars hold the secret to something much more vast than we can comprehend? What if we are all just shells of something much bigger and greater? Maybe thats the message or lesson we have to learn. We are all but single stars shinning in a vast sky, but when we come together form constellations that mean so much more as a group, united.


The Warrior’s Code

We only met Zack briefly in The Light of the Moon but there was something about him that stuck with me. I was thrilled when David James said he would be writing a short novella about him and his journey. I won’t dive into it because it is a novella and I tend to get carried away, but I will say I cannot wait for Shadow of the Sun. For more than one reason.

One of the things that I love about David is the way he writes. Its beauty at its finest. It’s the reason we love to read, to get lost in the world of fantasy. It’s the way he describes things for example,

“Her smile lit up her face and I found myself reminded that she was pretty in the same way a hurricane was; dangerous and deadly beautiful.”

It’s the imagery that keeps you rooted to your spot. He has a way to captivate you with his words and leave you playing out the story in your mind. It’s truly amazing. I was captivated from the first page and didn’t stop until it was finished. Now I’m left wanting more. I want to know more about Zak and Kate. The undefined relationship but you know there’s more to it than what is said, not romantically, but definitely more than either of them will admit. The need to be accepted into a home, into a family, to be part of something greater.

There’s also a moment when Zack is looking at Marcus, if you’ve read Light of the Moon, you know who Marcus is, makes me wonder if he should have trusted what he was seeing. So what happens when a Warrior is tested? What are these tests? So what happens when you become a Warrior?

“Death was mine to take—life was finally mine to live.”

The Enchanter’s Fire

*sigh* Yes I just started with that. One of the things I absolutely love about David James is the way he writes. He somehow has a way of making the bad sound beautiful. An image can be brought up to forefront of your mind by the magnificent description David provides. Not only can you picture the words unfolding in front of you like a movie reel, but you can feel it. You can feel the fire burning inside from the way he describes love or pain.

Lily is a fire wielder but she hasn’t learn to control it. Falling in love with another fire wielder to have him break her heart is something we can all relate to on some level. Granted we can’t wield fire but it doesn’t distract from the emotional connection we can all form from it. This is why no matter what, I would read David’s books. It’s because he can make you feel a million emotions in a short story, have the words so vivid it’s like you are watching it on a screen. It’s lyrical in its own way that it sets it aside from everything else I’ve read. It’s absolutely stunning, and its just not one of his books, they all are like that.

"Sometimes you have to think with your heart and act before you can understand what you're doing. Sometimes we all need a little help when it comes to love." -Zack

Shades of the Stars combines so much love, strength, and diversity into one book that there's no way you can't feel something. It brings emotions you never thought possible up to the surface, it connects you to events that have happened in your life, and changes a piece of you even if you don't realize it at first. That's what makes a good book, what makes an amazing writer, the fact that they can pull you into their story and you get lost. David James definitely knows how to do that and these short stories are no exception to that. So go grab this book, yes book, because it's too beautiful not to have sitting on your shelf.

<3 Dani


Author BIO
David James writes books about stars and kisses and curses. He is the author of the YA novel, LIGHT OF THE MOON, the first book in the Legend of the Dreamer duet, as well as the companion novellas, THE WITCH'S CURSE and THE WARRIOR’S CODE. A Legend of the Dreamer anthology, SHADES OF THE STARS, will be released in July 2013, and will include the exclusive novella, THE ENCHANTER'S FIRE. The final book in the duet, SHADOW OF THE SUN, will be released in late 2013. Living in Michigan, he is addicted to coffee, gummy things, and sarcastic comments. He enjoys bad movies, goofy moments, and shivery nights. Be sure to visit David’s blog and facebook to learn more about his various addictions and novels.


No comments:

Post a Comment